Am I the only one who's like this?

Bolter
Role: Caregiver

Re: Am I the only one who's like this?

Postby Bolter » 7 months ago

Bolter wrote:It's the error of the modern age. These devices we all use do all thinking for us. Why correct when you can autocorrect? Is it not exactly right? Eh....its close enough. Drives me mad. I used to remember phone numbers....not any more, lol.

See what I did there? I "lol'ed". Ha!

Cutie
Role: Little girl

Postby Cutie » 7 months ago

if it's online, i don't rly care at all. my daddy and i type crazyyy and stupid because it's cute and funny to us :pacy:
for my online friends we type all funky too unless we're mad. :no:
♡taken by my wonderful daddy♡
♡babygirl/little 3-7♡

Rock_N_Roll_Writer
Role: Little

Postby Rock_N_Roll_Writer » 7 months ago

It used to bother me, but as I got involved in more online areas I learned that some people used it when they didn't speak English in a site without an auto-translator, I started to be more okay with it. Since then, and realizing that everybody is a different age on certain websites, it didn't bother me as much.
Or I'm just becoming desensitized to it.

Dollie
Role: Little girl

Postby Dollie » 6 months ago

I cared at one point in time. If I'm talking to someone I don't know very well, I try to use correct grammar so they don't assume I'm incapable of writing correctly.
To all my friends, I am very laidback. I use "u", "ur", "btw", "ofc", "omg", pretty much everything. They type the same way. We're not uneducated... we just aren't bothered by common chatspeak, I suppose. I'm not trying to put anybody down who is, though. We all have our own preferences. ;)

sorcerousdraconis
Role: Little

Postby sorcerousdraconis » 5 months ago

This is a very interesting topic. I kind of have mixed feelings about it though.
On the one hand it is unbelievably irritating when people misspell things or make horrible grammatical errors. On the other hand I am aware that there are a great many things at play here. Even though most people would never be able to tell, I have absolutely no idea how english grammar actually works (other than capitalization and the use of periods, the former of which I tend to ignore out of habit and the latter only that they come at the end of sentences, run-ons are a bit of a problem I have...), I get by this because I am very good at mimicking patterns and I am well read. But I was never actually taught grammar in school and I consistently fail tests about the rules for grammar in the english language. Further, modern technology such as the internet and the availability of cellphones and other forms of communication have allowed an ever growing number of people not only the ability to communicate with far more people at a time but it has also allowed said communication to occur almost instantaneously, which, when coupled with the fact that it is very easy to not learn grammar in schools, means that not only is there more communication in a year than there likely was in the whole of the past thousand years but that it consists of people that are not necessarily very skilled at doing so in a manner that consists of properly spelled or grammatically correct language.
Also if you examine history you will find that this is actually a fairly common occurrence in the life cycle of a language. It is what gives us words like won't (will not) can't doesn't etc... as well as being responsible for differences in spelling, such as theater vs theatre, color vs colour, etc...

TLDR: It sucks but it is kind of to be expected and hopefully will be resolved before the 22nd century

Nordicdaddy
Role: Daddy

Postby Nordicdaddy » 4 months ago

honestly, the day i lost everything in a house fire, is the day i realized the value of time. i see no point in spending MY time just to look fancy and articulate. i watched everything burn up in 15 minuets, so as far as im concerned with grammer and language im sure over the last 5 years i prob saved atleast 2 hours from free flowing text. thats worth 8 lives to me

Kashalita
Role: Babygirl

Postby Kashalita » 4 months ago

Well how do you know if it's baby talk? I'm 6-13 and 9 to 12 years old don't sound like babies but we don't write perfect either. It double check their work.

In real life... I have exceptional grammar and spelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teddyNdummy

Postby teddyNdummy » 3 months ago

I dnt no wat ur all tlkin bout, nuffin rong wiv txt spk, is their?

hahahahahahaha!! *giggles hysterically* I have to admit, I am the same. I hate to admit it though! Text speak has it's place. It's informal, you can use it between friends. Sometimes I deliberately misspell things for effect - I write words like mispronouncification and thankles and faceybook. I'm terrible for making up words! However, seeing somebody write the wrong "there/their/they're" or "your/you're" would make my head want to explode. Even though I wrote that sentence above, that "their" on the end is making me want to gouge my own eyes out!

I understand some people are dyslexic and struggle with writing. However, I have a friend who is dyslexic and even they hate it! And another thing, people saying they go "hypo" when they mean "hyper". Diabetics go hypo. If you're bouncing off the walls and going a bit crazy, you are most definitely not becoming "hypo". Hypo = prefix meaning below normal activity/level; Hyper = above normal activity/level.

Lil_James
Role: Adult Baby

Postby Lil_James » 3 weeks ago

Yep, bugs me a ton, I may not be the best when it comes to starting my sentences with a capital or even using the right punctuation a lot, but one thing I try my best at is spelling correctly, not counting baby talk of course. :gigs:
You're only as old as you feel and as young as you want, growing old is mandatory but growing up is an option.

Daisies_n_Donuts
Role: Adult Teen

Postby Daisies_n_Donuts » 4 days ago

SAME! I am sorry to say that I've been so judgmental about this as to avoid talking to people who frequently use horrid grammar/spelling. . . It's a bit ironic now as I have a new phone that believes it is smarter than me and corrects my sentences to nonsense more often than not. I suppose that's karma hunting me down. . .

Return to “Off-Topic - Discussion”

Littlespace Online : 
IMPORTANT RULE FOR ACCESSING OUR COMMUNITY SITE!