Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell from Vinyl Doll

JuneStar
Role: Little girl

Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell from Vinyl Doll

Postby JuneStar » 1 year ago

I'm into reborn dolls. Primarily, the ones that look unusual, like monsters, or fantasy creatures. I recently purchased a beautiful blue alien and waited patiently for her to arrive. She did, and she's gorgeously done, but she smells. She smells like cigarette smoke and I'm not sure how to get it out at this point.

She's a painted vinyl, for the most part. She has a cloth body.

At first I thought I could just live with her being a little smelly but I can smell her from a few feet away even, and all of the clothes I put on her instantly begin to smell of the smoke too. It's really sad and I want to be able to play with her and put her in cute clothes but...the smell!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to, at the very least, reduce the smoke odor from the doll?

(P.S. I can't really put her outside and let her air out either. I live in an apartment complex and wouldn't want someone to take her.)

JuneStar

Re: Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell from Vinyl Doll

Postby JuneStar » 1 year ago

So, I did some thinking, internet searching, and browsing at the local Walmart.

This is what I've gotten and done:

• A brick of "powerful, deodorizing activated charcoal" that is meant to sit in a closet or other smell room. It says it will remove smoke odor.

-Tied the naked doll up in a trashbag with the deodorant for a few hours. No odor change, but it made the bag and the plastic on the brick itself smell pretty badly.

• Cat little box and carpet smell remover power. It's by Arm & Hammer and it had some oxyclean stuff in it, I guess. It smells kind of like a baby.

-Put the doll into a trash bag and sprinkled the powder all over it. I let it sit for 15 minutes and then vacuumed the doll and wiped it's limbs and head off with baby wipes. It greatly reduced the odor at that point.

-So, after about 1-2 hours of sitting outside of the powder, I created another dousing of it. I poured the powder all over her again and tied up the bag again. She sat for 30 minutes this time. The odor was primarily gone at this point, but then she reeked of a strange perfume. For some reason, the "baby" smell I thought the powder smelled like has changed while on her to something stronger and a little bit sickly.

• A bag of Tidy Cats kitty litter that "guarantees" to remove cat odors from the litter box. Sounds strong, smells kind of like a light citrus.

-Tied her up in a plastic bag after covering her in this kitty litter. Let her sit for 2-3 hours. Pulled her, vacuumed her off, wiped off her limbs with unscented baby wipes.

Results: Minimized smoke smell, but it's still definitely present. She also has a light perfume odor to her now, which isn't sickly or too badly. Overall, I think I can live with this and just let her naturally air out from here on going forward. We'll see!

Daisies_n_Donuts
Role: Adult Teen

Postby Daisies_n_Donuts » 1 week ago

I was going to advise kitty litter. :( I will say this: the strongest I have found is the Arm & Hammer brand for Multiple Cats. Leave the doll in there an extra long time. Like a week, even.

Also rubbing the doll down with 91% rubbing alcohol and cotton balls might help some. . .

I hope you can bring her or him back to life!

StarfireLaLa

Postby StarfireLaLa » 5 days ago

yay another reborn lover! i has a normal one but have been looking at werepups lately cause theyre so cute. sorry i don't have any suggestions, and since this is from a year ago hopefully it cleared up by now. but you could always ask in the reborn baby addicts group on fb, there are lots of smart people in there! they could probably help

Return to “Off-Topic - Discussion”

Littlespace Online : 
IMPORTANT RULE FOR ACCESSING OUR COMMUNITY SITE!